MORE ABOUT DECO
A PIECE OF HISTORY
Paris from the 1930s
Stained glass, wood panelling, gilded decorations, sandblasted glass, artfully crafted stair gates: it was unbelievable that all this beauty had almost ended up on the scrap heap. This exuberant Art Deco interior once graced the Parisian department store Au Bon Marché in the Rue des Sèvres, which dates back to 1920.
More than fifty years later, the management decided on a thorough modernization, in which the entire interior would be removed without further ado. By chance, the demolition plans were heard and they immediately traveled to Paris.
After negotiations with a surprised management who did not understand this interest, the ornaments were allowed to be removed bit by bit. One had to work very carefully: all parts were numbered and drawings were made where necessary.
Most of this splendor found a dignified home at Sauna Deco in the building at Herengracht 115, an office building designed by Berlage in 1890. Dutch cultural heritage was also saved from the demolition hammers: the grey-green wall tiles come from the old Twentsche Bank in the Spuistraat.
On the left you see an image of the old interior of Au Bon Marche in Paris. The curved windows you see here can now be found along our cold plunge pool and in the lounge. The old counters now serve as a reading table. Part of the fencing now adorns our main room.
On behalf of Spa Deco, we wish you a warm welcome. During your presence we will do everything we can to make your stay as pleasant as possible. To achieve this, we kindly ask you to observe the rules and tips below.
- Swimwear is not allowed for hygienic reasons.
- Shower is mandatory before using the baths, saunas, steam baths and other facilities. It is not allowed to go directly from a sauna cabin into a plunge pool.
- Spa Deco is a family sauna but children must be accompanied by an adult.
- Bringing glassware into all facilities is not allowed.
- Personal care such as brushing teeth, shaving, etc. is only allowed in the changing room.
- It is allowed to bring your own slippers or towels.
- Disruptive behavior, including wanted or unwanted intimacy, is not allowed. Guests who do not comply with this must leave the property after full payment and without refund. We also reserve the right to refuse your access in the future.
- While changing and entering baths or saunas, it is mandatory from a hygienic point of view to take a shower first.
- Outside the baths, saunas and showers it is mandatory to wear your towel/bathrobe
- In all dry saunas you take place on your towel.
- Mobile phones, tablets are not allowed. An e-reader (without camera and internet) is allowed, provided you report this upon entry.
- Smoking is only allowed on the patio.
- Food and drinks are only allowed in the lounge area.
- We expect a correct attitude/behavior towards fellow visitors and staff.
- We reserve the right to deny you access.
- You can always approach an employee for advice, help or information.
- Taking photos or filming inside Deco is strictly prohibited.
- Spa Deco is not liable for any loss or theft of goods or valuable objects brought by the guest and accepts no liability with regard to injury to persons and/or damage to goods .
- The house rules must be observed by everyone and instructions from employees must be followed. Guests who do not respect and follow the house rules are requested to leave Spa Deco immediately after payment of the bill.